Most people associate Winter with cold weather, short daylight hours, and a welcome relief from many nuisance pests. While the warmer months may bring flying pests such as mosquitoes, flies and stinging insects – Winter also has its own set of pest problems as rats, mice, cockroaches and spiders make their way indoors in search of warmth and shelter.
The pest control experts at The Specialists has several tips to pest-proof your home or office against Winter pests.
- Keep it clean: The best defence against cockroaches and rodents is a clean environment. Sticking to a regular cleaning schedule as well as being mindful of wiping up spills and crumbs immediately eliminates the food waste and odours that are attractive to pests.
Need professional cleaning services? Click here to find out more about what we have to offer
- Seal it up: Prevent rats and mice from gaining access by inspecting your property for any cracks, leaks and crevices that serve as points of entry, and sealing them with a long-lasting protective sealant.
- Remove clutter: Rodents prefer to hide in cluttered areas, especially where boxes and paper goods are kept, so keep storage areas such as garages, self-storage containers and sheds well organised. Where possible, store boxes off of the floor to make them harder to access.
- Store food safely: Mice, rats and cockroaches invade kitchens, pantries and food storage areas first and foremost. To keep pests out and ensure food safety, store food in airtight containers and keep food items such as fruits in the refrigerator.
- Take out the Trash: Always cover your garbage bins with hard compact lids and dispose of garbage regularly, preferably into a sealed wheelie bin outside. Any food waste or wet garbage should be taken out immediately.
- Trim the bushes: Trim any shrubs, bushes, grass or leaf piles that provide a good hiding place for rodents and keep any overhanging trees or branches away from the property so that they can’t be used as bridges to entry.
- Stow firewood away: Store firewood at least 20 feet away from your property to discourage mice and rats from wandering the short distance indoors for heat and shelter.
- Call the professionals: If after all of these efforts you still do find a cockroach or a rodent crawling around, get in touch with the Pest Control Specialists immediately before it becomes a big infestation.