Lear more about fly risks in our article: Commercial Fly Control: Understanding the Threats to Your Business
For this reason, proactive pest control measures are mandatory for food processing, food distribution or food retail businesses where raw ingredient storage, machinery and food preparation or food handling areas are particularly susceptible to damage from pests, such as flies.
During the warmer months, there is a greater need for these businesses to manage and prevent flies from contaminating production, storage and delivery areas. This is where partnering with a professional pest control company can make a difference.
Read on to learn more about the steps pest controllers take to safely control pests.
Integrated Pest ManagementThe ERDM approach to integrated pest management focusses on the following four principles:
Exclusion: preventing pests from gaining access to the property
Restriction: removing attractants such as food and harbourage sites
Destruction: using pest control products and treatments to eliminate pests
Monitoring: documenting pest activity and evaluating trends
With these principles in mind, a pest control technician will survey a property for signs of a fly infestation and make recommendations based on their findings:
- Identify the type of fly threat (fruit fly, house fly, etc.)
- Inspect for possible breeding areas
- Establish the most effective treatment for external areas
- Locate waste disposal areas and inspect for larvae
- Identify fly entry points for proofing interventions
- Investigate the status of housekeeping in the facility (cleaning, sanitation, etc.)
- Determine the type and number of fly control units for internal areas
- Ensure that a site plan is drawn up indicating the placement of fly units
Fly Control MethodsAn effective fly control program needs to consist of various methods, remedies and control measures for a truly holistic approach that breaks the fly life cycle instead of only dealing with the flies you can see. This includes:
- Insect Light Traps
- Fly Bait Stations
- Larvicide Treatment (for waste disposal areas and bins)
- Adulticides (applied to resting and perching places)
- Red Top Units (at the perimeter)