The underlying reasons for pest infestations as a result of building work is often twofold:
- Renovations disrupt regular sanitation and maintenance schedules, leaving the property more vulnerable to a pest infestation.
- Heavy construction can uproot pests, disturb their habitats and force them to search for new sources of shelter, water and food to survive.
Here are the pests that can pose a threat to your construction site:
Cockroaches: These pests reproduce quickly, contaminate food and cause allergies by releasing their spores into the air.
Rodents: Rats and mice are known to carry diseases and are infamous for causing structural damage by gnawing on wood, paper, pipes and electrical wires which are often exposed during construction activities.
Termites: The silent threat – termites establish colonies and eat away at wood structures such as skirting boards, door frames, flooring and any other wooden finishes.
How to manage pests during constructionBefore work can even begin, it’s important to work together with your building contractor and pest management provider to develop and agree on a proactive pest control program that aims to prevent and eliminate pest issues around the construction site by implementing preventative measures like sanitation, exclusion and ongoing maintenance.
Here are just some of the things you can do to protect your property from pests during construction:
- Have your pest management technician survey your site and review your construction plans so that they can identify potential pest pressures.
- Pest monitors can be set up around the area to detect and assess any existing pest populations that may be a cause for concern.
- Incoming building materials should be inspected for signs of pests before being brought on site.
- Double check for cracks and gaps along new walls and foundation to limit pest entry after construction is complete.
- Set up bait stations and traps around building materials and the exterior of the construction site to keep pests from moving in.
- Keep the construction site as clean and clutter-free as possible during the building process.
- Don’t neglect maintenance and landscaping programs by trimming trees that overhang or touch the structure and preventing the growth of weeds.
Want to know more about how our integrated pest management programs can protect your property during construction? Contact us for a pest control quote today