Fly Infestation: Here’s What You Can Do About ItFlies can be a nuisance to our homes and businesses. A fly infestation could pose a serious health risk as flies are known to spread diseases harmful to both humans and pets. About 90% of all flies occurring in human habitations are houseflies. Houseflies are a problem wherever decomposing organic waste and garbage are allowed to accumulate. They breed and feed in filth, including garbage, faeces and spoiled food. They pick up bacteria, fungi and viruses and spread the pathogens by contaminating food and water.
According to an article on the News24 website, Johannesburg residents have noticed with concern, an increase in flies this season. While some have suggested the increase is related to waste refuse and some speculate on the changing weather, Professor Chris Weldon of the University of Pretoria, has shed some light on the situation, in the article. We’ve shared a few fly prevention tips of our own below:
Fly Prevention Tips• Cover food - flies spread diseases by landing on our food before we eat.
• Clear food remains as well as liquid spillages immediately, particularly from under kitchen units and appliances.
• Ensure all exterior and interior bins are tightly closed.
• Clean up after pets - faeces are a perfect breeding place for flies, flies may land on them before landing on your food.
• Fit fly screens to windows, especially around kitchen and waste areas.
• Ponds -iIntroduce a goldfish to your garden pond, as they will eat fly larvae.
We at The Specialists can offer you a range of fly products to control a small fly infestation. For a large fly infestation, you will need professional advice and targeted treatment. Contact us for a quote.